Eric Martin PE, LEED AP
Big Ladder Software Boston: Aug 2020 - Present
Senior EngineerDenver: Oct 2018 - May 2019
- Developed and parameterized building energy models (EnergyPlus & CSE) using the Modelkit framework with Ruby & Python scripting.
- Performed technology screening studies (low-e window coatings, wall/roof insulation, and indirect evaporative cooling).
- Improved the Modelkit framework functionality and updated templates for compatibility with latest releases of EnergyPlus.
- Modified source code (Ruby) of the Euclid geometry editor for compatibility with latest releases of EnergyPlus.
- Edited C++ source code to create custom EnergyPlus builds.
Energy Solutions Denver / Boston
Senior EngineerMay 2019 - August 2020
Parametric modeling of energy efficiency measures to support Title 24 Codes and Standards Enhancements (CASE)
- Measures include: Battery control algorithm optimization, boiler O2 trim control, daylighting controls, drain water heat recovery, envelope enhancements, exhaust air heat recovery, and infiltration / air leakage improvements.
- Developed and executed workflow (utilizing Modelkit framework) for simulating energy efficiency measures on 17 prototype building models across 16 California climate zones.
- Adapted EnergyPlus models (using Eppy and Modelkit) sourced from CBECC-Com prototypes to dynamically change location, sizing parameters, and associated code requirements (envelope, equipment efficiencies and configurations that vary by climate zone and equipment capacity).
- Utilized Git protocol for version control, collaboration, and future open-source release.
Direct expansion (DX) performance curve study to support the Colorado utility incentive program
- Translated manufacturer performance data into coil performance curves (HVACCurveFitTool and CoeffConv).
- Developed prototype models for use in simulations to determine the efficiency tiers of utility incentive programs across three Colorado climate zones with various performance curves and coil object types (SingleSpeed, TwoSpeed, and MultiSpeed).
Assessment of machine learning-based surrogate models for estimating energy impacts of residential efficiency measures
- Developed EnergyPlus models representing various residential energy efficiency measures and compared the results with those produced by ML surrogate models used in the XeroHome tool.
- Evaluated base model EnergyPlus inputs and energy offset required to achieve net zero energy after implementing EEMs.
Interface EngineeringSan Francisco, CA
Senior Energy Analyst / Mechanical EngineerSept 2015 - Sep 2018
- Developed models for energy simulations (IES-VE, EnergyPlus, Ladybug, CBECC-Com/Res), computational fluid dynamics (Autodesk CFD), and radiation / thermal comfort (Radiance/DIVA/Grasshopper/Ladybug).
- Compiled and managed LEED credit documentation (EA/WE/IEQ categories).
- Measured and verified whole-building and sub-metered trend data to calibrate energy models.
- Composed technical reports and presented results to clients and industry organizations.
- Instated scripting to facilitate analysis & energy model development (Python, Ruby, FORTRAN, Excel/VBA).
kW EngineeringOakland, CA
Project EngineerAug 2012 - Sep 2015
- Executed energy efficiency measure analysis, energy modeling (eQUEST), energy audits, & retrocomissioning (RCx).
Thompson ConsultantsMarion, MA
HVAC DesignerJuly 2011 - Aug 2012
- Generated HVAC design/drafting (AutoCAD), building load calculations, & energy simulation modeling (Trane Trace).
Humboldt State UniversityArcata, CA
Environmental Engineering, Bachelor of Science, cum laudeMay 2011
Internships: Ecosystem Energy Services (Montréal) & US Solar Works (Attleboro, MA)
Licensed Professional Engineer, Mechanical (M36996, California)May 2014
LEED Accredited Professional, Building Design and Construction (LEED AP BD+C)June 2016
ASHRAE SPC 229: Protocols for Evaluating Ruleset Implementation in Building Performance Modeling Software2020 - Present
California Building Energy Modeling (CalBEM) Working Group 3: Advancing BEM Simulation Capabilities 2019 - Present
International Building Simulation Association (IBPSA)2016 - Present
American Society of Heating, Refrigeration, and Air-conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE)2011 - Present
Homer Arnold Award for Outstanding Achievement in Environmental EngineeringMay 2011
CSCI E-50: Intensive Introduction to Computer Science (Harvard Extension School)2021
CS50: Introduction to Computer Science (Harvard University / edX)2020
Python for Data Science Bootcamp (General Assembly, San Francisco)2017
ENG X470 HVAC Ductwork and Piping Systems (UC Berkeley Extension)2017
ENG X473 HVAC Controls and Energy Management Systems (UC Berkeley Extension)2016
EnergyPlus for Practitioners (Big Ladder Software, San Francisco)2015
ENG X495 Introduction to LEED V4 (UC Berkeley Extension)2015
Title 24 Compliance Modeling with IES (Pacific Energy Center)2015
Control Logic Diagrams (Pacific Energy Center)2014
Trane Trace 700 - Loads and Energy Modeling (Trane)2012